Day of rest my ass.
First up, the hole. This is looking MUCH better now.
We'll sort the ceiling out too...got a plan for that.
If it wasn't for the strip on the ceiling, you'd never have guessed there used to be a door there..
Lookit, we have some wood.
Tony is reaching up to start marking the ceiling in the main room.
This is the current state of the main room. Big changes going to occur here soon...
Iain came round (not pictured) and fitted some new power sockets in the main room...
...and in simon's room. Also network socket backs are on, I'll wire up the faceplates before we move in.
The heater in Simon's room is back on the wall. :>
Recently cleaned painting implements.
Tony measuring the ceiling in the main room...
We needed a chalk line so we went to the hardware store. Whilst there, we bought paint for the main room.
The tin you see here is Red.
Tony and I waiting for paint to be mixed.
We brought the paint back to the main room. From left to right: Red, black, purple
We also bought this flat bit for countersinking screws into the wooden beams (behind).
Tony doing maths on a piece of skirting board...
...guess where he got it from...
My mother came over to help paint. She did all the awkward bits behind the cooker and the fridge. Thanks, mum! :>
You can't see this too well, but we've marked the beams above the ceiling using the chalkline.
Tony drills countersinks into the beams.
...meanwhile the kitchen is gradually getting whiter...
And the first beam is up! These will be like rails which hold the false ceiling in place.
Tony whacks in the final screw on beam #2
All beams up. This took hours and we were both pretty tired by the time it was done. I was doing stuff too, but Tony doesn't seem to like taking pictures...so it sort of looks I was just slacking. I wasn't!! :P
I took this one from near the ceiling. You can just about make out the 3 rows of beams.
Here's another view...
Tony wasn't happy with the finish on the hole, so he redid that. I tried but discovered that I fail at plastering.
We did a second coat on the kitchen, and then it was getting dark so we decided to boost.
Washing out the bristles after a hard but successful day's work. :>