Author Topic: The "I want to but I can't" modding requests thread  (Read 217269 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 14
The "I want to but I can't" modding requests thread
« on: April 06, 2010, 06:02:45 PM »
If you have a request for a modding feature that isn't in the game, put it here. I will do the ones that are within reason. Things like requests for powering the UI by Lua will probably not make it in due to how hard-coded that part of the game is... but please put them down anyway if that's what you want to do. It is good for me to know what people want.

Thanks!

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
Re: The "I want to but I can't" modding requests thread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 06:06:22 PM »
Ok here's a continously updated summary of all the commands that I wish existed, in order of the importance I personally attach to them.  :P

• DrawLineBehind() and DrawSpriteBehind() commands!  Please see the discussions on this page of the thread for details.

• Bug Fix for mine:SendTo(Asteroid).  Currently the mine travels directly to the target asteroid, ignoring whether the send distance is big enough, and not bothering to travel via intermediary roids.
  • Bug fix for RemoveSeedlings() command, which currently only removes some of the seedlings... an apparently random number.  For example if I have 50 seedlings and try to remove 50, I might be left with 42.
  • Command to manually set the colour for a given Empire.  This would give designers greater creative control over how maps look.  If no colour is specified for the empire, a random one would be chosen.
  • Command to capture key presses, EG "if player is holding down the "R" key, move asteroid 1 by 0,50".

• Command to trigger in-game sounds, eg the being able to trigger the 3-tone sound that is heard when you send seedlings from one asteroid to another would be helpful for player-made empire management tools like drag-selecting.
  • Command to change the radius of the "atmosphere", ie the glow around asteroids.
  • Command to move (not send) a given number of seedlings belonging to a given Empire from one asteroid to another asteroid.  More control over agents in general would open up a lot of possibilities.
  • A way to differentiate between seedlings of different qualities when referring to them in scripts.  For example, it would be nifty if you could instruct seeds with a high speed stat/best overall stats/etc to travel somewhere, instead of just "seeds in general".
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 12:52:33 AM by annikk.exe »

Major Cooke

• Achiever
  • Sapling
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 02:45:40 AM »
As mentioned in another post, customizable sounds via LUA. And perhaps, if eventually allowed in another milestone marker, the ability to create custom units... or does that fall under the "powering the UI by Lua"? (I assume it is, but bleh)

Also, what about using some of the new features for the regular single player levels? I'm still working my way through them and it'd be nice to see good examples on how they are used in the story.

njursten

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 05:21:29 AM »
I like to write pretty code. This means not hard-coding numbers, for example the number of asteroids I've added, but instead retrieve it from a function or variable. From what I see there is no GetNumAsteroids function. Or is the Globals.G.Asteroids increased when you call the AddAsteroid function?

AWS

• Achiever
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 06:47:09 AM »
waypoints? or perhaps a small set of variables that the player can alter themselves from the main menu. eg. enemy easy/med/hard. this many opponents. change  unit cap/ world cap, etc. so you tweak things to your personal taste.

but waypoints for me is the main one..

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 07:57:10 PM »
If you could add something like GetCameraPositionX() and GetCameraPositionY(), and GetCameraZoomLevel(), that would be enough (I think) to be able to add pseudo-depth.
If you recall in games like Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic runs around on the grass in the foreground and as he moves it scrolls along with him.  However, there's also a background layer of hills and mountains in the distance, and this background layer moves more slowly than the foreground - giving you the sense that the level has some depth.

With these additional functions, it would be possible to create an engine that lets you place asteroids in the "background", which move accordingly when you zoom in/out and move the view field around.  In addition you could also place asteroids at different "depths", meaning not just a foreground and background layer like in Sonic, but actually an arbitrary number of background layers, all of which move according to their depth.

To get around the issue of these asteroids being selectable and traversable, one could simply add them in function LevelLogic() instead of in LevelSetup.  That way the asteroids are visible but not traversable/selectable.

So that would be a totally awesome and unique effect.  I wouldn't get a chance to work on this for ages yet though so no rush on these - Gravity is going to keep me busy for quite some time, I think...

Rudolf

• Administrator
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 12
  • Euflorian Ambassador
    • Omni Systems Limited
  • Eufloria: Yes
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:30:12 PM »
A visual level editor would be nice. :-)
-----------------------------------------------------
Rudolf Kremers - Grand Poobah

http://www.omni-labs.com
http://www.rudolfkremers.com
http://rudolfkremers.tumblr.com/

Major Cooke

• Achiever
  • Sapling
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »
A visual level editor would be nice. :-)

With a built in run-time script editor and tester. :D

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 11:33:31 PM »
Please please please let me name my asteroids!!

see, the game i've had, would make a good seed turn bad..
oh who am i kidding..nobody gonna get that reference :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 08:21:57 PM »
Haven't grown a tree in a long time...

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 11:43:31 PM »
heh

AWS

• Achiever
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 02:51:59 AM »
is there a way to...

... enable the roids to very gradually grow in size, and when it reaches a particular size, the tree capacity is increased by 1. i think it would work as a percentage, so once it increases by say, 50% of its initial size, add 1 tree capacity. then again at 25% of its new size, etc....

???

annikk...im looking at you here for guidance?!

::)

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 12:46:27 AM »
You can change the radius of asteroids over time by changing their radius property, so yes you can do that.

If you're changing the radius over time, you could do it by having a variable called roidradius.  If you wanted to do this for all the asteroids and not just one, you could make roidradius an array.  Then you would have a slot for each asteroid.  So roidradius[0] would be the variable referring to the radius you will set for asteroid ID 0.  roidradius[1] would be the radius for asteroid ID 1, and so on.

You can change the number of tree slots an asteroid has available mid-game by changing the properties of the asteroid.  To do it based on the size, you could run a check on the roidradius.  Something like this:

Code: [Select]
for i = 0,roidnumber do
treenumber[i] = roidradius[i] / 200

GetAsteroid(i).TreeCap = treenumber
end

treenumber[] will usually end up being a non-integer, but I think LUA converts it to the closest integer automatically.

Anyway yeah this is totally possible.

This thread is for requests for new scripting commands mod features, better to take questions about level design to a new thread.  :>
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:48:30 PM by annikk.exe »

hansie

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 08:47:53 AM »
Could someone tell me it if's possible to get the campaign to visually look like dark matter??

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 04:55:08 AM »
Made a proper list for this now, see my post up at the top.