It seems like I better start posting some of my suggestions before all of them are thought of by others ...
I will start with TREES ...
I see the trees spawning more seedlings (or seedlings faster) as the tree matures. Since there are more branches to hold more seedlings, and, therefore, more seedlings are mature, it just makes sense that more would spawn at a time. I think, right now, it levels off at ~two at a time while there are other seedlings that are mature that sit and wait for some period of time.
I like the suggestion of having the branches “break” from the tree. Should keep the same disintegration effect as when an entire tree gets destroyed (nice!). This is mostly in line with a suggestion I had … although, I envision this a little differently:
- Colorize the tree. Put the player color within the tree trunk and branches (core), between the darker outer lines. I think this would be a nice effect.
- Have the trees grow by “segments” of branches (still keeping tree growth smooth though).
- Each branch is made up of 5 “segments” (or adjust the number by asteroid type)
- Branches damage from the top down.
- “Segments” turning black at the core when the tree is “hit”
- If the entire branch turns black, the branch disintegrates (along with any seedlings).
- This process can also be extended to the root of the tree and only when it all turns black is it fit to be a pathway to the asteroid core.
- Then, the tree takes time to recover
- Only mature seedlings can launch, if they are on an undamaged branch
- It takes energy from the asteroid core to repair the branches; the same or slightly faster than original growth. As they repair, their color returns.
- Only once a branch is fully repaired (fully colored) will it conduct life to the seedlings. To continue to grow or launch mature seedlings.
- More developed trees should be harder to destroy (they may already be, I just can’t tell in the current game)
- This concept can also be applied as a more enhanced root system as trees mature.
Other ideas related to trees:
- I definitely agree with the ability to uproot and re-grow trees. This gives the advantage of changing your layout as the game progresses. The penalty is having to wait for the tree to grow – what about also having to wait for the tree to die?
- I go back and forth on the idea of being able to select tree sites on the asteroid. I appreciate the randomness of the placement being part of the game-play. Also, selecting tree sites seems too "micromanagement". On the other hand, sometimes the trees bunch together on an asteroid and make it difficult to see what is happening. Perhaps an alteration in the placement algorithm.
- An indication of seedling maturity. I understand this is done by the size of the seedling matching the mature seedling picture in the menu, but, would it be too difficult for them to retain a neutral color until they are mature, and then they would become the player color? This would also allow the effect of mature seedlings not launching from damaged branches to be more pronounced.
My two-cents about TREES ... more to come on other aspects. This game ROCKS!!!