Author Topic: What am I doing wrong on level 11?  (Read 7350 times)

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
What am I doing wrong on level 11?
« on: June 05, 2013, 12:15:49 AM »
I've thoroughly enjoyed Eufloria (PSN version) so far, and so far have been breezing through the game.

But I have hit a brick wall.  For some reason, I just cannot get past level 11.  I have tried nearly 20 different strategies - rapid expansion, attacking unoccupied asteroids right away, attacking occupied asteroids right away, terraforming, no defense trees, all defense trees, heavy mining, no mining, defense-only mining, trying to pit Yellow against Gray...all to no avail.  In every case, Yellow always has superior firepower - better mines, more and better units, etc.--and it will gladly use it.  I also don't have the ability to upgrade my Dyson Trees with flowers - apparently that option comes later - though I can upgrade Defense Trees.

So, what gives?  Am I missing something obvious?  It seems strange to go from cruising through the game to having so much trouble.  Any strategy ideas?

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 27
  • They'll eat you next!
  • Eufloria: Yes
Re: What am I doing wrong on level 11?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 06:44:17 AM »
I guess there are some good attributed asteroids on the map? Use them for dyson trees. If there are asteroids with a good amount of strength, use those for mines(this means more damage and more powerful explosions). Now you've got an elite force and some kamikaze units to send in to lower the death count of your forces. Now what you do is attack several asteroids, but all asteroids must be of the same owner. This will split their forces, but you now got a much clearer advantage because of the mines.

This is one strategy I think will work. I'm not sure how the map looks like anymore, and it might be a little hard to at all get to the point I started the tip with. You might need to improvise a little. :)

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »
Thanks for the tip!  On the 32nd attempt, I was finally able to get through.  Even so, I had to play the map for over 2 hours on that attempt, and there was a LOT of back-and-forth with Yellow.  And I had to rely a lot on luck/feinting.

Interestingly, that map took me longer to conquer than 1-10 and 12-14 combined.  (I haven't tried 15 yet.)  The problem is that there are many (nearly 20) asteroids, and Yellow owns several with strong stats right at the beginning, which allows it to gobble up all the empties within 2 minutes.  It also has numerous pollinated Defense Trees and several exceptionally strong mines right from the start--on at least 3 of my attempts, their mines wiped out all my starter planet seedlings before I'd had a chance to do anything more than scout.

In fact, level 11 is so much more difficult than those around it, I almost wonder if it has a programming issue.  If Yellow only owned one or two asteroids at the beginning, and few/no pollinated Defense Trees, I think it'd be closer to the right difficulty level.

I shudder to think what that level might be like on Dark Matter Mode :)

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 92
    • TunaHQ
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
We tweaked quite a few levels for HD and I think this was one I flagged up as a bit horrible and too big in the PS3 version. I don't remember having a problem winning it, but it sure took a long time.

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 12:01:40 AM »
The only viable strategy I found for this level is blitzing as many Yellow asteroids as possible right away, when they are still building numbers, ignoring empty/Gray asteroids and development of owned asteroids in the process.  You have to cut as deeply and as quickly into Yellow's ownership as possible to have a chance to pass this level.

I also figured out (finally) that I should move my units away from asteroids when I saw an enemy Mine coming.  That should have been obvious a lot sooner :)

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 03:23:00 AM »
I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining!  I am immensely enjoying this game, and plan to continue playing it through to completion (including Dark Matter Mode...if I'm good enough :D)

I just wanted to raise level 11 as a possible problem in the PSN mode because, at least in my experience, it is WAY harder than 1-10 or 12+.  Perhaps this is due to the typically conservative way I play the game, and the fact that no conservative approach will work on this level.  (As mentioned above, after 32 tries the only approach I found that gave me a chance was attacking as many Yellow-owned asteroids as possible immediately.)

I do urge the programmers to take a look at it, and consider releasing an update if they agree.  I think the only tweak that would be needed is giving Yellow fewer starting asteroids and fewer/no pollinated Defense Trees.  My biggest concern is that other, less experienced, PSN players may give up after repeatedly running into trouble on this level.

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
For what it's worth, I've found quite a few posts online where other PSN players have talked about getting stuck on this level for days/weeks/months at a time :)

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
    • TunaHQ
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 05:14:32 PM »
The whole PSN update thing is a bit of an issue. It's quite a headache to do and Alex May has moved on to other projects so it's unlikely to happen now that the game is pretty old on there :-[

Eufloria HD will be back in active development again as soon as Eufloria Adventures is finished, but it's not compatible with the PS3 build.

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 05:32:46 AM »
That's unfortunate (regarding the PSN update thing)...but I've heard that as well from my other favorite smaller gaming company, The Behemoth (Castle Crashers, Alien Hominid, Battleblock Theater).  So I believe it.

Still, it's always possible that an update - however difficult - would increase PSN sales.  So it might be something he'd consider some day, when current projects wind down.

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 02:29:09 PM »
Just finished all 25 story mode levels, and Dark Matter 3 - yep, level 11's still by far the toughest :)
Though I did have to restart once or twice on levels 18 and 24.

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
    • TunaHQ
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 07:04:51 PM »
That's unfortunate (regarding the PSN update thing)...but I've heard that as well from my other favorite smaller gaming company, The Behemoth (Castle Crashers, Alien Hominid, Battleblock Theater).  So I believe it.

Still, it's always possible that an update - however difficult - would increase PSN sales.  So it might be something he'd consider some day, when current projects wind down.

It's a difficult subject but the reality is that unless Sony gave it a very major promotion, it would cost way more to do a patch than would be gained and we just don't have the time or money to do it.

Behemoth (now) have an awful lot more money and resources than we do. Eufloria is a lovely project but it paid the rent rather than anything more. What's been great for Rudolf and Alex May is that it's paid the rent for 4 years or so now :)

BTW Mark and I worked on Alien Hominid and would have liked to do something BT related but Eufloria is keeping us busy at the mo  :D

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 06:11:19 AM »
BTW Mark and I worked on Alien Hominid and would have liked to do something BT related but Eufloria is keeping us busy at the mo  :D
Nice!  I wasn't a big fan of Alien Hominid (it looks like a great game, but I never could get into it).  Nevertheless I immensely enjoyed Castle Crashers, even helping to write its official wiki.   I was also hoping to get BBT and help on its wiki, but I don't have an XBox.

What were your and Mark's roles in Alien Hominid and in Eufloria?  Programmers? Testers?  Artists?  Designers?  I'm still trying to figure out who did what for Eufloria.

Your description of the Sony patch process also explains why The Behemoth never released the Purple Knight or BBT Castle Crashers add-ons on PS3.