Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 44673 times)

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 30
  • They'll eat you next!
  • Eufloria: Yes
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2013, 03:23:41 AM »
To me the most important thing is a better AI. The AI in Eufloria HD was really stupid, so once I learned the basics of strategy I usually won on the first try, and when I didn't I usually won on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I find that once I gain a strong position, even if the enemy still has a great advantage, I win, and it's usually not difficult to get into such a position unless the enemy starts with a great advantage. Towards the end of the campaign I started to get bored, and Dark Matter mode, which claims to be a harder version, felt painfully easy.

Other than that there are interface issues that should be fixed. I'd love side scrolling, scrolling with the arrow keys, the ability to set automatic rally points for new seedlings so I don't have to keep manually collecting them from all over, the ability to redirect seedlings in mid-flight, and maybe an option to switch to traditional RTS-style controls for the desktop version, since I'd be more comfortable selecting with the left mouse button and then setting a destination with a click of the right mouse button. Also it would be nice to have HP meters for trees, flowers, and those destroyer-class seedlings that are produced by Defense trees with flowers.

The community here can take care of most of these suggestions, like the better A.I and Rallypoints. Though currently this is something we will have to wait for with the HD version, the classic version will give you a much bigger challenge if you let the custom made maps try.

The Infected AI made by Annikk is by far the strongest AI, and I made some attempt perfecting an A.I, but the I tok a format to the HDD. As for the other features, such as healthbars and rallypoints, has all been made in some form, except for the mid seedling command.

Lestibournes

• Seed
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2013, 04:25:03 AM »
To me the most important thing is a better AI. The AI in Eufloria HD was really stupid, so once I learned the basics of strategy I usually won on the first try, and when I didn't I usually won on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I find that once I gain a strong position, even if the enemy still has a great advantage, I win, and it's usually not difficult to get into such a position unless the enemy starts with a great advantage. Towards the end of the campaign I started to get bored, and Dark Matter mode, which claims to be a harder version, felt painfully easy.

Other than that there are interface issues that should be fixed. I'd love side scrolling, scrolling with the arrow keys, the ability to set automatic rally points for new seedlings so I don't have to keep manually collecting them from all over, the ability to redirect seedlings in mid-flight, and maybe an option to switch to traditional RTS-style controls for the desktop version, since I'd be more comfortable selecting with the left mouse button and then setting a destination with a click of the right mouse button. Also it would be nice to have HP meters for trees, flowers, and those destroyer-class seedlings that are produced by Defense trees with flowers.

The community here can take care of most of these suggestions, like the better A.I and Rallypoints. Though currently this is something we will have to wait for with the HD version, the classic version will give you a much bigger challenge if you let the custom made maps try.

The Infected AI made by Annikk is by far the strongest AI, and I made some attempt perfecting an A.I, but the I tok a format to the HDD. As for the other features, such as healthbars and rallypoints, has all been made in some form, except for the mid seedling command.
I'm new here so I don't know about any of that. Where do I find it and how do I apply it? Will the creator of Eufloria incorporate any of these changes into the original game?

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 30
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2013, 06:25:50 AM »
I'm new here so I don't know about any of that. Where do I find it and how do I apply it? Will the creator of Eufloria incorporate any of these changes into the original game?

There are two versions of the game currently. The HD version is official for all platforms except Windows, if I am not mistaken. If you haven't bought the game on a PC with Windows, you'll have to buy the classic version to play it and get the mods available. This feature will become available for the HD soon though, as the devs plan to integrate more things for the map creators to play with. As soon as all of that hits the HD version, me and many other people will get very busy creating new maps.

tl;dr:
It's not available for HD. If you bought it on something else than a Windows OS, you will get all these features when the modding capability from classic has been added to HD.
You might even see one of my maps for HD then. :)

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
A few minor suggestions for Eufloria HD
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2013, 02:53:18 AM »
Now that I've had a chance to play Eufloria on PS3 and the Eufloria HD Beta on PC, I thought I'd make a few minor suggestions for improvements before the HD version is released.  I've no idea if there is interest in making modifications, but didn't think it would hurt to post these ideas.

1.  Two new unit filter ideas.  Currently, units can be filtered by attribute (strong Energy/Strength/Speed) or type (Seedling/Enhanced Seedling/Mine).  I would love to see a filter added to the first grouping for weak units (i.e. the type you'd feed into terraforming trees), and a filter added to the second grouping for Flowers.
2.  Allow terraforming trees to be pollinated with flowers(!).  This could have any of four effects (to be chosen by the programmers!)  A.  Allows for up to +200 attribute increase (i.e. the chosen attribute can always be maxed); B. Allows for a second attribute to be increased by +100; C. Seedlings fed to the Terraforming tree have a small positive effect (+0.25 or so) to nonchosen attributes, meaning a pollinated terraforming tree would allow up to +100/+25/+25 growth; or D. Pollinated terraforming trees will SLOWLY improve the asteroid to a certain cap without feeding seedlings.
3.  AIs will use terraforming trees.
4.  There is not a hard limit to units per faction, but the limit is based on hardware capabilities/slowdown.  The 2:1 ratio (currently, 2000 max for the player and 1000 max for each AI) would continue to be honored.
5.  A button which instructs all existing Beacon trees to redirect to the chosen asteroid.
6.  Alter color of asteroid based on attributes.  Right now, every asteroid is the same gray color (excepting the color tint in the core which indicates the color).  I'd suggest adding a second color tint/indicator near the surface which is based on the attributes of the asteroid - yellow for high Energy, red for high Strength, etc.  This would give more variety to the graphics.  (Unexplored asteroids should remain the neutral color.)
7.  Defense tree destruction.  I would suggest that a Defense tree does damage to in-range enemy units at the moment it is destroyed.
8.  Artifacts are lost if an enemy takes over the asteroid it's orbiting.

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
Re: A few minor suggestions for Eufloria HD
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2013, 12:35:57 PM »
Hmm...now that I've noticed it, it probably would have been best to put this in the "suggestions" thread  :P

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2013, 05:39:37 PM »
Want me to move it?

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 102
    • TunaHQ
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2013, 06:00:16 AM »
1) I don't like the current 'attribute' filters much or the UI for them, but we just couldn't change them unfortunately. What you say is sensible but we'd need to design a better interface overall. One for a sequel.

2) Flowers are very random so it may add too much of an element of luck. Interesting idea. I think more could be done with terraforming generally but Eufloria has always tried to bring complexity from simplicity, so we'll see in future.

3) It would unbalance the existing levels if added now. One for a sequel.

4) Will happen on the computer versions almost certainly, but it won't be unlimited - it'll be script controlled if anything.

5) Was considered (and discussed a lot) but turned down on the basis that it would change the balancing of the existing game. A future sequel would definitely have better or more configurable beacon trees.

6) Could play havoc with visuals but it's an interesting idea.

7) Could consider that for future eufloria adventures stuff.

8) Wouldn't work with current maps and artifacts aren't really designed for this, nor in Eufloria Adventures.

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2013, 05:33:09 AM »
Pilchard - You might as well move it; all the suggestions really ought to be in the same place :)  Thanks.

Stuff
Hmm, good points!  A few more responses:
2) True, but there are a number of levels already where flowers are the deciding factor (at least for the less skilled players among us!)  Particularly if the AI does not have access to terraforming trees, this could potentially ease the difficulty a bit for players.  Though to be fair, it could make the game more difficult if players always prioritize pollinated terraforming trees above pollinated Dyson/defense trees.
3) I could certainly see an argument for leaving this out of the main campaign.  But I think it would be a GREAT addition for Dark Matter Mode.
4) That makes sense.  Even the strongest hardware could not have an unlimited number of seedlings.  However, stronger hardware could support more seedlings simultaneously (say, 5000/2500 for example) than weaker hardware (2000/1000).
6) Perhaps rather than using color, a different attribute of the asteroid could be used.  For example, perhaps Strength could cause a "rocky" texture to be displayed rather than a smooth gradient, while Energy could cause the "shinyness" of the asteroid to increase, and Speed could introduce some sort of small atmospheric/wind phenomenon.  Just an idea to liven up the graphics a bit, and allow people to eyeball the asteroid's strengths without actually toggling it.

And, finally,
9) Grafted trees.  Trees that are half Dyson, half Defensive.  To maintain balance I'd suggest 15 or 20 seedlings are needed to start one, not 10.  (This wouldn't confer much benefit until it is pollinated...)
10) Flower capture.  Enemy flowers (and mines?) can be captured rather than destroyed, when the asteroid is taken over - much like the trees themselves.  This makes asteroids with flowers higher value targets.

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 102
    • TunaHQ
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2013, 06:53:57 AM »
Some of the above are more suited to future iterations of Eufloria Adventures. The first version of it will definitely have a lot of room for stuff we just don't have time for in our first version.

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2013, 07:14:34 AM »
I'm looking more and more forward to Adventures then :)

I have tons of additional ideas for balancing, tweaking, etc....but the majority of them would be "larger" changes, so probably aren't a good fit for HD or Adventures.  For example, one involves networking trees ("foresting") together on asteroids with sufficent attributes to improve the asteroid's overall offense and defense...

Bonobo

• Achiever
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 156
  • -Receive: 13
  • Was born, still alive.
    • FB acct
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2013, 10:10:12 AM »
Nice ideas, BFG. I could imagine something like … as soon as the first own [system] has been gardened, there could be an evolutionary leap so as to have one’s own different agents categories to cooperate better with each other … finally learnt each other’s languages or something.

BFG

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »
Thanks!  It's too bad I didn't discover this game a bit sooner; perhaps some of the better ideas could have been incorporated into HD or Adventures if I had...

The Foresting / Dyson net idea would need some fleshing out before it became feasible.  But it could add a whole new dimension to gameply.  Speaking of new dimensions...I'm hoping that Eufloria 2 will use 3D maps :)

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2013, 02:23:56 AM »
Mod: I've moved the last few posts in here over from another thread

Gazz

• Seed
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 02:47:32 AM »
I take it the New And Improved Eufloria isn't available for PC, yet...

One feature that was missing from Classic was to completely wipe your progress through the "campaign".
It was a major pain to "replay" that game.
While you could select the missions one by one at a later time, this was very awkward and you basically needed pen and paper to keep track of it. That's so 1980s...

It could be something as simple as a CONTINUE button where the game auto-saves which mission you are / had been on.
Then you'd just manually pick a mission from where to start your replay.  From that point onward, you only continue. KISS.
I'd think that would be trivial to code but it would be a big plus to user-friendliness.

LamaSempaï

• Seed
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »
Hello,
I discovered Efloria some hours ago, and I really love it.
I red a lot on the forum but didn't see any question about the multiplayer possibility.
Is that a bad idea ?

Sorry for bad language and thanks for your answers.