Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 41691 times)

Rudolf

• Administrator
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 12
  • Euflorian Ambassador
    • Omni Systems Limited
  • Eufloria: Yes
Re: Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
I stopped counting level editors when there were 4 I think... I am still amazed at how fantastic Eufloria modders are.

Regarding the colour blind mode... I really miss this myself. Team symbols weren't perfect, but they went a long way to address the issue, and the were pretty cool looking. Also, a lot of people without visual impairment used them.

IIRC they were procedurally generated and it took Alex M very little time. However, this was with the old c# framework.

R
-----------------------------------------------------
Rudolf Kremers - Grand Poobah

http://www.omni-labs.com
http://www.rudolfkremers.com
http://rudolfkremers.tumblr.com/

Bonobo

• Achiever
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 11
  • Was born, still alive.
    • German Mac Mailing Lists
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 06:50:36 AM »
I’m not visually impaired and I used them—sometimes colours were quite similar and in these cases it helped a lot.

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 92
    • TunaHQ
Suggestions
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 07:27:35 AM »
Sounds like a good idea to me then. Rudolf, how come they were left out when things were rewritten? Or just a time thing?

Rudolf

• Administrator
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
  • Euflorian Ambassador
    • Omni Systems Limited
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
Time thing! The PSN crunch ate a number of things ;-)
-----------------------------------------------------
Rudolf Kremers - Grand Poobah

http://www.omni-labs.com
http://www.rudolfkremers.com
http://rudolfkremers.tumblr.com/

Bonobo

• Achiever
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 11
  • Was born, still alive.
    • German Mac Mailing Lists
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 06:01:05 PM »
Eufloria HD controls are grotesquely large on my 27" iMac … any chance you can change that?

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
    • TunaHQ
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 01:01:23 AM »
Eufloria HD controls are grotesquely large on my 27" iMac … any chance you can change that?

We'll add it to the list for the full release. We may need a UI scale slider or something.

michael5000

• Seed
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 02:54:22 AM »
Hi,

This is a great game! It's fun to play and beautiful with a great sound track. It's an immersive experience, save for the system bar on my android tablet. Could you add a check box to the settings menu to hide / dim the system bar for the android version? I'm running android 4.0.4 on a galaxy note 10.1 gtn8013. FYI, It runs very well on the highest settings.

Thanks!

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
    • TunaHQ
Suggestions
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 03:37:18 AM »
As far as we know it isn't possible. Apparently it's a really big problem on some games as you constantly activate the home button.

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 03:54:43 AM »
I got the pre-release a day ago(Thank you Sillytuna for letting me :) ) and began playing the story. I've played through 12 levels and while playing I've thought a lot of things to add:
  • Re implement the send distances from all asteroids when you're about to send seedlings; it's quite annoying not being able to see where your empire can reach. This results in clicking send on an asteroid and it just denies your sending and leaves you with the asteroid selected.
  • I like the beacons very much, makes your day much easier. The thing with them though, is you can't "stack" them. You MUST set every beacon to one gathering point. This isn't very tedious if you do it once, but as your empire grow you get new gathering points.
    Getting to the point: If you create a new beacon on an asteroid with beacons sending to it, all beacons sending to it will follow the new beacon.
  • I noted that some of the HUD text were colored. I liked this very much, and quickly realized what everything meant. Maybe a more detailed color system would be better, yet it would still be easy to understand:

(click to show/hide)
  • This is a new eye candy idea I came up with: create a spherical atmosphere around the asteroid. Unlike the current which is a fading dot, it would be a transparent hollow sphere with a radius equal to the radius of the asteroid + the height of the tallest tree. It would have the team color and would be less transparent when closer to taller DYSON TREES.
  • Mines should get a suicide button. This sound horrifying I know, but sometimes you can use it tactically.
  • Removing terraformations that have been done. Meaning that previous terraforms will be removed over a length of time, allowing for a new one. Terraforming should also stress the energy level of the asteroid.

I guess I'll be posting more when I've played more. I don't know if you can remove terraformations yet either, pardon me if you can :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 06:14:45 AM by Aino »

q00u

• Seed
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 04:21:35 AM »
Classic had a fairly good solution to this, eg, the team symbol in the center of the asteroid.
We'll consider that then. Is that really enough to make the game work enough for colour blind people? I had assumed too much use of colour was made on seedlings etc to even consider it.
Well, I'll still have difficulty in telling the seedlings themselves apart, for example. But, knowing who controls which asteroid would be a great help.

• Re implement the send distances from all asteroids when you're about to send seedlings; it's quite annoying not being able to see where your empire can reach. This results in clicking send on an asteroid and it just denies your sending and leaves you with the asteroid selected.
  • I like the beacons very much, makes your day much easier. The thing with them though, is you can "stack" them. You MUST set every beacon to one gathering point. This isn't very tedious if you do it once, but as your empire grow you get new gathering points.
    Getting to the point: If you create a new beacon on an asteroid with beacons sending to it, all beacons sending to it will follow the new beacon.
  • I noted that some of the HUD text were colored. I liked this very much, and quickly realized what everything meant. Maybe a more detailed color system would be better, yet it would still be easy to understand:
I second the send-distance suggestion, and the beacon addition of course. Beacons, especially, would help *so much!*

But, the color! Green, red, and orange are all quite difficult for a colorblind individual like myself to distinguish. Blue, vermilion, and bright yellow, on the other hand, are a trio of colors that most colorblinds can tell apart. However, as more colors are needed, all the colors become less distinct.

Here is one of the best documents I've seen on the problem. But, even on their colorblind-friendly pallet, I would still have problems if _all_ the colors were used. Orange and vermilion are very similar to me; reddish purple and blueish green as well. The colors on this pallet are ordered such that those similar colors are not next to each other. This is fine in a static document (such as a chart), but not in something where the colors move around.

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2012, 04:29:09 AM »
Yeah, sorry about that. I'm not color-blind and didn't really think through what every individual would think. For many of the texts though it is only a variation of two colors(Dark gray and a color), which is easy to distinguish I would believe. The enemy count thing can be set to one color if you set on colorblind mode, which I assume WILL be implemented in a not so far away future :)

Breakord

• Sapling
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 7
  • NO WORDS.
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 08:40:10 AM »
I don't know much about modding (or map making) but if you can make a visual-editor for eufloria map that'd be awesome...
But yeah, that'll take a lot of time in making just one feature...

Hotkey for each command would be great too. Like if you want to send just press this key, etc.

[self.sillytuna setLuck:@"good"];  // :P  I just learn Obj-C for a while
"Euroflia : Online graphic Eufloria level editor now temporary dropped..."
Actually I've just downloaded this dropped editor and reedited it.I think now it works well on editing the levelsetup module~
I hope I didn't infringe the rights of the author of the editor..

Breakord

• Sapling
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 7
  • NO WORDS.
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 08:58:22 AM »
you can see it here http://breakord.svfree.net/

q00u

• Seed
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 11:31:15 AM »
Is a more featureful version being worked on? I haven't heard anything for a few months.

Lestibournes

• Seed
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2013, 02:31:34 AM »
To me the most important thing is a better AI. The AI in Eufloria HD was really stupid, so once I learned the basics of strategy I usually won on the first try, and when I didn't I usually won on the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I find that once I gain a strong position, even if the enemy still has a great advantage, I win, and it's usually not difficult to get into such a position unless the enemy starts with a great advantage. Towards the end of the campaign I started to get bored, and Dark Matter mode, which claims to be a harder version, felt painfully easy.

Other than that there are interface issues that should be fixed. I'd love side scrolling, scrolling with the arrow keys, the ability to set automatic rally points for new seedlings so I don't have to keep manually collecting them from all over, the ability to redirect seedlings in mid-flight, and maybe an option to switch to traditional RTS-style controls for the desktop version, since I'd be more comfortable selecting with the left mouse button and then setting a destination with a click of the right mouse button. Also it would be nice to have HP meters for trees, flowers, and those destroyer-class seedlings that are produced by Defense trees with flowers.