Author Topic: Calling all modders  (Read 15035 times)

Rudolf

• Administrator
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 12
  • Euflorian Ambassador
    • Omni Systems Limited
  • Eufloria: Yes
Re: Calling all modders
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »
A combination of both!
-----------------------------------------------------
Rudolf Kremers - Grand Poobah

http://www.omni-labs.com
http://www.rudolfkremers.com
http://rudolfkremers.tumblr.com/

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »
Hello.

With regard to drawing, if you were going to implement this on iOS, it will be WAY more powerful if you could include the ability to either draw in front of, or behind, asteroids.

Why?  Well take the starfield engine for example.  Because the "stars" are always rendered in front of the asteroids, I have to use special algorithms to detect when a star is on top of an asteroid, and hide it.  This is a huge drain on CPU, especially if a lot of stars and asteroids are onscreen at once... if I could tell the stars to draw behind the asteroids, I could have THOUSANDS of stars onscreen instead of hundreds, irrespective of the number of asteroids..  I know this to be the case because I have tested the performance without the star-hiding code.

So I would propose the following for Draw commands:

DrawLine(x1,y1,x2,y2, r,g,b,a, thickness, background/foreground)
DrawSprite(id, x1, y1, r,g,b,a, size, background/foreground)

(Where "background/foreground" is a boolean, true or false, to indicate whether it should be rendered in front or behind of asteroids)

And if we could draw to both the level and the screen, similar to the PC version, that would be sweet. :>
ie: function ScreenDraw() and function LevelDraw()

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 58
  • -Receive: 92
    • TunaHQ
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 08:46:04 AM »
Sounds ok to me :)

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 03:39:03 PM »
Assuming you add enough things to make modding possible and worthwhile, I would give my right arm and first-born child for a better debugging result. I've probably wasted hundreds of hours trying to track down bugs resulting in the "Eufloria has encountered a problem and needs to close" Windows message, leaving no clue as to where the error occurred, and no way to access the console for further detective-work. I guess the LUA debugging capabilities are not good or easy to implement, but any improvement in this area would be extremely helpful to non-programmers like me.

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »
Assuming you add enough things to make modding possible and worthwhile, I would give my right arm and first-born child for a better debugging result. I've probably wasted hundreds of hours trying to track down bugs resulting in the "Eufloria has encountered a problem and needs to close" Windows message, leaving no clue as to where the error occurred, and no way to access the console for further detective-work. I guess the LUA debugging capabilities are not good or easy to implement, but any improvement in this area would be extremely helpful to non-programmers like me.

The game should leave a debug.txt file in the Eufloria directory after each game and inform about EVERYTHING that's being done...

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
    • TunaHQ
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 07:11:19 AM »
For the PC version we'll have a think. Lua doesn't give nice error messages.

Also if you want to print from scripts that are running on the iOS version, use the in-game message system. Won't work with broken scripts tho.

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
    • TunaHQ
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 04:23:04 AM »
Brief follow up. One of the reasons we've held back the full release of the PC/Mac/Linux versions is to allow us time to look into improving the modding support. Any posts made in this thread will be taken into consideration!

We have to finish Eufloria Adventures before returning to Eufloria HD, so you have a few months yet.

Timeroute

• Seed
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
Hi, first time posting. I was wondering if there was any chance of getting something like http://w3.impa.br/~diego/software/luasocket/home.html integrated - or at least giving modders the opportunity to integrate it, within their own mod.

The main reason for this would be that then modders would have the opportunity to essentially program their own multiplayer version of the game, which of course plenty of people have asked for. :D

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 09:12:04 PM »
It might be possible to to the with just Lua. It would be a lot slower than the C version, even if it could be done. Might be interesting to try though.

Timeroute

• Seed
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »
I got a working LuaSocket integration. :D It only works with HD, not Classic, but it works.

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
    • TunaHQ
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 12:19:06 AM »
Hi, first time posting. I was wondering if there was any chance of getting something like http://w3.impa.br/~diego/software/luasocket/home.html integrated - or at least giving modders the opportunity to integrate it, within their own mod.

The main reason for this would be that then modders would have the opportunity to essentially program their own multiplayer version of the game, which of course plenty of people have asked for. :D

I have to say that I know nothing about this. I can look into it when we improve modding support before the final release though.

I'd imagine it'd be quite tough to keep the game in sync although maybe on PC you can get away with batching data at regular intervals and brute forcing it. There are a lot of things about Eufloria (HD) that may make multiplayer stuff tricky. For example a lot of code does different things for team 0 (player) and a little perhaps for team 1 (grey) compared to other teams but I guess an enemy team can mimic the player somewhat. 'Relaxed' mode puts a bias on team 0 and against the other teams BTW. This can easily be fixed by overriding the relevant variables.

I heard that people managed to hack in some multiplayer stuff for the old Eufloria (you crazy people) so I could add a couple of extra variables to prevent things like a team trying to run any AI - I could put it entirely under script control.

I assume I would need to make a lot more variables accessible from Lua. In the old version, could you access any variable on a seedling? It was C# and that sort of thing is easier to do in that language. This build is C++ and you don't have access to individual seedlings etc.

It probably isn't too much work for me to do this though.

Basically, if someone who has done it before can put some notes in this thread then I can try and open things up enough for you guys to play with :)

Anyone who is modding will be given access to the Eufloria HD beta when we're adding modding functionality, so we can add features while you test/request them :)

sillytuna

• Eufloria lacky
  • Administrator
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
    • TunaHQ
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 12:22:31 AM »
The game should leave a debug.txt file in the Eufloria directory after each game and inform about EVERYTHING that's being done...

We'll do what we can for this, and we'll provide an in-game console for things too. As far as possible!