Author Topic: Isn't this just beautiful?  (Read 7890 times)

Tomfloria

• Shrub
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • First iOS modder :D
Isn't this just beautiful?
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:52:27 AM »

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 30
Re: Isn't this just beautiful?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:05:28 AM »
The Time? 1968. The place? A movie theater in Washington D.C. I still remember watching the Stargate animation sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey, and being blown away by it's revolutionary slit-scan technology. In 1972, I was impressed by my Magnavox Odyssey gaming system with it's moving white squares on my television. Sure, I had to tape colored pictures onto the screen to play different games, but it was soooo cool! In 1973, I watched Leigh Taylor Young play Space Wars in Soylent Green and couldn't believe the sophisticated animation. I couldn't wait to get my hands on it! I remember the shock of seemlessly flying INTO the trench on the Death Star in 1977. Computers were at the cusp of revolutionizing film-making. I spent a large part of my disposable income playing in the arcades in the 80's- from the black and white  Pong to my first game with colors- Galaxians, and beyond. Wow! Color!! For the last 20 years, I've watched the ever-increasing power of computer systems reveal more and more sophisticated real-time as well as pre-rendered animations. Amazing stuff and yes- beautiful. It just gets better and better.

A simple video clip like this is beautiful to me, and each little advance in simulating real-world physics is exciting; but if you've grown up with modern computers and powerful GPU's, do you just take this stuff for granted?   

Tomfloria

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 04:18:18 AM »
I'm still only a young lad, so I guess I do take games made earlier in time for granted, Except for the game Super Mario Bros. 2, that is the ONLY old game that I like, but the video I posted is some of the stuff i'm dreaming for, I really want a good computer, but I have to think, is this going to put my life on hold, or off-set my life spending 2 grand or so.

But when I see videos of real-time simulation or something that blows other games out of the box, such as this video:

That video really blows me away, and I can sort of already play games with Unlimited Detail.

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »
but if you've grown up with modern computers and powerful GPU's, do you just take this stuff for granted?

If something has been around in a ubiquitious capacity for 5 years, everyone takes it for granted apart from those who either know something of the complexities of creating it, or who were alive and aware of the world around them before the thing arrived.

I suspect the kids of the future who decide to try to get into 3D stuff are going to have a nasty shocky when they realise these graphics they've been accustomed to their whole lives are actually very, very complicated to produce.

You could say the same thing about computers in general though.  I used DOS 5 when I was growing up, so an example of something I take for granted is the "interactive mode" that we all use our computers in these days.  Prior to that, computers were fed pre-prepared punch cards which would carry out the calculations and produce a result....but you couldn't just type a command in and have the computer run it instantly.  When that idea first appeared, it was revolutionary.

In short, I think the answer to your question is Yes.  :>

Tomfloria

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
Video Games are the future.

Bonobo

• Achiever
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 141
  • -Receive: 11
  • Was born, still alive.
    • German Mac Mailing Lists
  • Eufloria: Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 07:15:05 PM »
I was born in 1957, so I may be around your age, Lost Seedling, and I still go <gasp> when I see new computer-generated stuff even though I use them (and play with ’em) since around 1983. I even remember using Hollerith cards (punch cards) when we had a computer workshop at school in 1975 … that was a Wang computer, it had a hyper-modern LCD with just one alphanumeric line …

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 23
  • Eufloria: Yes
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 02:15:33 AM »
Haha, you said wang.

Okay, peurile over. The oldest OS I remember using was Windows 3.1, possibly 3.11. I repeatedly broke it, but since it was released around the time I was born that's not really surprising. I would love to take even the "simplest" computer back 10, 20 years and see how people would react.

Tomfloria

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:16:04 AM »
Earliest for me was Windows 95 :D

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 06:51:36 AM »
Well, if you want to play the "Who had the most ancient OS?" game, I submit my first computer, the Digicomp I:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digi-Comp_I

It was a little too advanced for me at the time, however. The next computer I owned didn't come until 1999 (just 36 years later), and it's still sitting here on my desk.

Why the heck didn't I buy Microsoft and Apple stock when I had the chance?

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 05:23:14 AM »
I could watch this stuff all day. I'm not sure which is more impressive- the end result or the software used to create it.

Unreal Engine 4:

That "EventGraph" was amazing.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:27:13 AM by Lost Seedling »

Tomfloria

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 02:45:04 AM »
I watched that yesterday, its beautiful alright, the engine is great, and id give top marks to it, and the end result, but imagine games having this: http://unlimiteddetailtechnology.com/description.html

Check the videos out, looks exciting.

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 04:54:03 AM »
Yes, I watched the other one you posted and related videos, too. Interesting debate within the industry about it's future. It is unclear to me whether it will be able to accommodate all of the other tricks-of-the-trade which make things look real, but as the developer was pointing out, they are just developers, not artists. They seem to be on the right track to this point. I guess time will tell.

SweetCandyGrimm

• Grimm
  • Shoot
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • My Juggalobook.com Profile.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 03:06:24 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
~SCG~