annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
SOPA
« on: January 18, 2012, 08:03:56 PM »
Wikipedia is down today, in protest at SOPA (and PIPA).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Imagine if it never came back up.

Imagine if Google went down too, and you could no longer do google searches.
Imagine Facebook, Twitter, Imgur, Photobucket, Imageshack, Reddit, all went offline.

This might sound unlikely but it's exactly the sort of scenario we could face if SOPA is passed into law.

SOPA and PIPA are bad laws, which will stifle innovation and create a globally censored internet (not just in the USA!).  It's up to ALL OF US to fix this:

1) Tell anyone who will listen about SOPA
2) Sign Google's petition if you're a US Citizen: https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Bonobo

• Achiever
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 141
  • -Receive: 11
  • Was born, still alive.
    • German Mac Mailing Lists
  • Eufloria: Yes
Re: SOPA
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 09:12:01 PM »
Text I posted on all “my” social networks (as suggested by Wikipedia):

I support the January 18th Wikipedia blackout to protest SOPA and PIPA. Show your support here  http://tinyurl.com/7vq4o8g

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 30
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
Minecraft.net is down too... But wikipedia is still accessible by clicking escape when finished loading the page. But that's just for this day, if wikipedia were to be shut down, you can't do that and you have no free easily accessible knowledge to your disposal.
And, wikipedias SOPA article is still open. Coincident? I think not.

Let me make it easier on you: SOPA sucks, nuff said!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:32:53 PM by Aino »

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »
Live in the UK?  Sign this petition if you want to help!
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/26143

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:23:09 AM »
Minecraft.net is down too... But wikipedia is still accessible by clicking escape when finished loading the page.
And, wikipedias SOPA article is still open. Coincident? I think not.

Aha, somebody else that worked that out!

Seriously though, it's scary, though by-passable. If you have the IP address of the site you want, then you can still access it. If it comes in, I foresee many, many sites with many, many mirrors with lists of IP addresses for sites that have been blocked.

Also, have any of you seen TB's video/argument against/rant about SOPA/PIPA?

EDIT: Somebody pointed out to me at college today that in trying to bring down things like China's Great Firewall, the US has been actively developing weapons against these pieces of legislation. Hypocrisy much?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 03:58:47 AM »
We've taken down eufloria-game.com but left the forum up for you guys :) x

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:40:20 PM »
<3

Yesterday was a blast.  Social networks were buzzing.

Widget

• Sapling
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »
Live in the UK?  Sign this petition if you want to help!
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/26143

I'm sick and tired of governments caving to greedy, self-interested lobby groups trying to lock down our internet. Signed the petition, because it can't hurt, and keeping my fingers crossed that all the protests worldwide over this have an impact.

collapsoul

• No Intel Inside
  • Sapling
  • Thank You
  • a bot in a human disguise
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 06:16:44 PM »
Here's a translated quote from one of the russian informational security related forums:
guy's just kidding though, hope this is obvious - we're used to "humourize" any incoming/ongoing disaster for a long time already. Otherwise it'd be really hard to keep own mind state sane

This fever is treated simple as that - while the bill still not came to its power, all we need to do is to stuff the whole SOPA website with as many comments linking to pirated content as we can! That way, as soon as SOPA starts, the first of all things to destroy, it will have to deal with itself :)
You never get involved in a pig fight. If you do, three things happen: you get dirty, you get tired, and only the pig has fun.

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 01:51:51 AM »
Yea, but was he just kidding? I've seen people that have suggested this and ACTUALLY MEANT IT.

Could be funny to do it, no? Always assuming of course that there would be the facility to do that.

collapsoul

• No Intel Inside
  • Sapling
  • Thank You
  • a bot in a human disguise
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 07:29:34 PM »
Yea, but was he just kidding?
I can't properly translate his phrases' intonations that clearly show he was.

I've seen people that have suggested this and ACTUALLY MEANT IT.
Seems that the more west point of conventional map people do inhabit, the more they are upset by all this, the more seriously they treat this threat.
All our people (excluding developers, media creators, artists... shortly, those who create non-material things and feel what it's like when they got stolen from) are not too far away in time from all-out pirated production use. As I mentioned before, 90's here were years of worshipping to criminal lifestyle, it was overly popular. Sigh. These common users don't seem to be aware of SOPA at all - their memories of many ways to obtain what they want for free no matter the laws are still fresh. So the group of us here who aren't ignorant to SOPA is far from what would be called decent.

Could be funny to do it, no? Always assuming of course that there would be the facility to do that.
Agreed, but generally ain't seem to be able to prove any much efficient.
You never get involved in a pig fight. If you do, three things happen: you get dirty, you get tired, and only the pig has fun.

BC wins

• Seedling
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:32:53 AM »
so are you guys all just totaly awesome ? :P
OR is the entire internet just protesting to posible end of freedom that these lesigslations (Acta now) could  cause ?

(Apart from this, ofcourse ur friking awsum  8) )