Author Topic: old  (Read 9595 times)

freddyhard

old
« on: September 03, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »
so why is it of the 1676 members i count 13 on this forum and only the germans have given their age - and me. but my question is;
is there a time when you get too old to play games or moreover be any good playing them?
i still have my spectrum beside me here as i type and when i try and play some of the old games i fail miserably - when once i could complete them.
incidentally you know you are old when
'pulling an all nighter means you went all night without having to get up to make peepee.'

Orion63

• Sapling
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • We are the Knights who say... NI!
Re: old
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:21:46 AM »
You're never too old, to do something you like, except <state obvious/evil/unhealthy/irresponsible things in here>. It is obvious that all these exceptions come from a individual duty to fit in the society he lives. Gaming, normally doesn't affect those, so I guess, you're good ;-).

Either way, I try not to think much about the future. The same routine every day(by 99% of adults?) for 40 years? No way...Of course, only the future will tell ^^.

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 27
  • They'll eat you next!
  • Eufloria: Yes
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »
You should think of the future man! What are you gonna work as, how do you get to that job? How are you gonna keep a balanced economics, etc...

Orion63

• Sapling
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:41:53 AM »
Don't get me wrong. I have preferences, wishes and all. I know what I want to do, after getting out of college, I know how I want to live. But that's it. Thinking about at which company I will get the job, or how I'll get the job, or where should I live, seems in a certain way, wasteful. Getting accurate predictions is next to impossible, and in the end, real life can be quite disappointing...

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »
Yup, real life is disappointing...

Bonobo

• Achiever
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 11
  • Was born, still alive.
    • German Mac Mailing Lists
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 09:02:36 PM »
Oh NO @Aino, Real Life is NOT disappointing, it’s just all there *really* is. Virtual Life, OTOH, can be VERY disappointing, as it often leaves a stale taste in mouth and hollow feeling in tummy.

BTW, @Orion:
You're never too old, to do something you like, except <state obvious/evil/unhealthy/irresponsible things in here>
Correct, except for the fact that IMHO even in my old age it’s possible to do things society overall thinks are bad but which I think and feel and know are right. I for one feel quite alright being a green hippie »misfit« … Oh, and plus some of the “unhealthy/unresponsible” things <cough>

And funny how many people think that in old age one has to let go of things like sex life etc. …

As Bob Dylan sang: “May you be … forever young!”

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »
Ok, so Real life is kinda disappointing for us youngsters, growing up and need to get used to ALOT of new things. Me for example, I have no wanting of working with anything else than games, yet I need a way to have a balanced income, and in Norway, the taxes are very high(approximately 31% of all the money you earn monthly I think)... But Real life is not disappointing either, since you have all the worlds opportunities to you, you can do whatever you wish, if you have the money...

Orion63

• Sapling
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 10:13:23 PM »
Money is overrated, but it's obvious, that the lack of it, is a hell of a problem. I guess, that it's up to each one of us, to find out what to do. (yes, I know. Helpful, right?).

@Bonobo

I am pretty sure, we all think like that, once in a while. You gotta choose between going with the flow, or fighting it.

Also, Aino, if you want to go to Game Design, I heard Germany has college degrees for that area(and as far as I know, the only in Europe), so you might think about it.

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »
I can do a lot of programming already, I think I'll do indie stuff, so I won't really need much schoolary for it... I hope I've made my first little program before the age of 16 :P

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 07:10:59 AM »
I can't really speak authoritatively, I don't yet have even 18 years of experience in this world, but I will say one thing: While forward planning is good, nobody knows exactly what's around the corner.

As regards gaming, remember this: Growing old is compulsory; growing up is not.

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 09:15:35 PM »
Stay in school, kids.  :>  It's free learnings.

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 09:16:51 PM »
Scho9ol isn't free always... In Norway it is though :D

Orion63

• Sapling
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 06:11:43 AM »
Wow. College is free in Norway... Back here, is like 950 a year, and there's always the house bills(assuming you're going to a college that is too far away of your house), driving license(essential if you're not living in a big city) and some other basic stuff...
Sounds too much? Imagine if you have sister(s)/brother(s).

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 01:47:39 PM »
Well, that's Norway :)