Author Topic: Minecraft  (Read 11714 times)

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 23
  • Eufloria: Yes
Minecraft
« on: April 12, 2011, 02:27:40 AM »
It's addictive. So's the MC Yogscast. I watched all of the first season without a break yesterday.

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 27
  • They'll eat you next!
Re: Minecraft
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 02:56:59 AM »
I loved Minecraft, played it constantly... untill I suddenly stoppen and then I began coding and here I am sitting now...

Sniped50

• Sapling
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Don't ask. About anything.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 05:07:03 AM »
I haven't really got much interest in it, thanks.

I mean, yes I love level editors (why do you think I'm here now?), but I'm not the kind of guy who digs having to slowly scratch an entire world only for it to not get shared with others (I don't like being judged!).

Oh yes, I'm also not partial to looking for new worlds to explore with the overhanging possibilty of being greeted by a giant, eye-searing, pixellated phallus.
"Sometimes, the simplest solutions work the best."
- Mythbusters

"But the complex solutions look prettier."
- Me

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 06:19:20 AM »
It's a failed pig model.

But "eye-searing, pixelated phallus" works well too. Watch the minecraft yogscast, it's brilliant, they rant about creepers and identity crises a bit in one of them.

"What is it?"
"I don't know. I don't think it knows. That's why it's so angry all the time."

It's funnier in reality.

http://www.youtube.com/show?p=M-_uPjfjVzc&s=1

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 08:15:46 AM »
We used to run our own Minecraft Creative Mode server.  About a dozen people, mostly RL friends, contributed to it.  Some of the structures were totally awesome, and of mind-boggling scale.  :>

We all helped out with each other's projects, but some of my personal favourite constructions that I took the lead on, are the giant underground Tesla Dome (a sort of gigantic hallway/stairwell), an enormous underground theatre complete with a stage, backstage, balconies, bars, seating...  and also the spiral stairs I did at the back of the main castle we built.  There's a large bay window in the main room of the ground floor of the castle looking out at the mezzanine that sits in the middle of the oddball helix-like design, and the whole thing just looks really stunning.. :>

My best contributions for the projects of others tended to be interior design.  We each had our specialties, for example Jon was really good at making staircases, and Tristen was a brilliant structural engineer.  We actually created a planning permission system whereby each of us would need permission from two of the senior crafters before building anything new and major in the world.  This was so we could use our level viewer to examine the surrounding area, to make sure they weren't going to hit any water pipes or collide with another construction.  That worked really well and we never had a serious land dispute or accident the whole time we were doing it.

We built so much stuff that it actually takes about 1 hour to see it all - assuming you RUN from place to place without spending any time to stop and look at the details.  :>

There was a MASSIVE underwater sealab complex...
A submarine pen (with submarine)
A nuclear silo
A port with several ships and leisure craft
A fusion reactor...
A poster of some topless chick (painstakingly rendered from a bitmap image, pixel-to-block)
An enormous subterranean cavern filled with lava and a Diablo-style central pedestal room
Several sci-fi craft from Star Wars and Battlestar Gallactica
A gigantic compass in the middle of the sky
An enormous castle
A gigantic UFO floating above an enormous hourglass with a roof garden on top - the whole thing on top of a massive tower..

That's just to mention the truly impressive sights in that place.  You could seriously spend hours there.  It was so beautiful carving out our own world, in our own design.  Highly recommended if you have a few interested and inspired friends to do it with... :>
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:23:29 AM by annikk.exe »

Sniped50

• Sapling
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 11:23:36 PM »
Yeah, but I don't have any 'interested' or 'inspired' friends to play with. :'(

Is it still playable by yourself?
- Mythbusters

- Me

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 12:01:26 AM »
It is, but not as good as with mates.  A big part of the joy of it is planning and showing off your creations to others.

It's a very easy game to get into.  Maybe you can persuade some of your friends to give it a try? :>  The interest will follow, and inspiration normally strikes me when I'm in the shower... go figure.. :>

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 03:53:22 AM »
Wow annikk, in the shower? :P

I inspired all of my friends, I said that " OMG, minecraft is teh best game evar!" and they watched movie from it and said: "No, it sux hard by looking at the graphics, I'm not sold here!"

Two days later they were begging me to get to try the full version atleast, I'd shwon them a link to the minecraft survivaltest, which doesn't exist anymore sadly, and ye...

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 07:00:57 PM »
Minecraft isn't about fancy graphics.. :>  I'm guessing they understand that now!

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »
They do :P

Sniped50

• Sapling
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 11:26:23 PM »
Quick question: Which one do you think I should pre-order, Minecraft or Portal 2?
- Mythbusters

- Me

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »
Both. To be honest with you "preordering" Minecraft is just buying it, with bugs.

Do you get a discount for P2 if you preorder, or a bonus? If not, preorder Minecraft, otherwise P2 it is.

Sniped50

• Sapling
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 01:34:49 AM »
You get a discount AND a free bonus copy of Portal if you pre-order Portal 2 on Steam for the PC. I live in the UK, so you could not only get it on the 19th instead of the 21st, but also get it cheaper too.

So, P2 it is. Gotta love Valve! ;D

I might get Minecraft at a later date though...
- Mythbusters

- Me

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 07:14:44 PM »
By the way, have you watched X's adventures in Minecraft? It's kinda awesome and funny :)

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2012, 05:48:52 PM »
Yay, 8-month bump!

Anyway, the last update just lost me a massive factory complex as it deleted all of my mods, and when I checked that the maps were okay, it "corrected" invalid block IDs. So, transport pipes, ore grinders, automated charcoal burners, etc.