Wow, this thread took off fast.. :>
Widget, I know a nifty trick for positioning asteroids that you might like:
1. Load your level.
2. Turn on developer mode by pressing CTRL-D.
3. Press F4 and turn off camera limiting, then zoom out so you can see the asteroids.
4. Press F12 to activate little tooltips next to each asteroid, showing their ID numbers and current X/Y coordinates.
5. Now open the console, and enter commands such as these:
GetAsteroid(37):MoveTo(7530,-1900)to place the asteroid at those coordinates, or...
GetAsteroid(37):MoveBy(50,0)to nudge it east a little.
6. Move all the asteroids around in this way until you are happy with their positions.
7. Now just write down all the coordinates of the asteroids as you see them on the tooltips.
8. Edit the level file and enter the coordinates you just wrote down. :>
I am working on optimizing the 3D Starfield engine. Right now with more than about 20 asteroids onscreen it runs unacceptably slow, even with fairly sparse stars. :/