Author Topic: What are you working on? :D  (Read 238758 times)

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 27
  • They'll eat you next!
  • Eufloria: Yes
Re: What are you working on? :D
« Reply #660 on: August 15, 2015, 05:17:41 AM »
Annikk's tutorials doesn't work anymore :(
The pictures are unavailable, at least to me...

What to do?

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #661 on: August 17, 2015, 04:54:27 AM »
It's been that way for some time now. Fortunately the pictures were not that important. Aino, YOU certainly don't need those guides anymore!

I've been working on a new map and have a question for you though:

In reference to the CameraZoom functions, Alex wrote:

GetCameraZoom() float Gets the camera zoom - warning this value is different from the value passed in from SetCameraZoom for arcane and ridiculous reasons... the formula is (0.05f + ((float)(Zoom * Zoom * Math.Sign(Zoom)) / 10)) where Zoom is the value you passed in

http://www.euflorium.com/index.php?topic=212.msg1862#msg1862

Can you explain that gobbledygook? I'd like to know if I say "GetCameraZoom()" and the value returned is 12.345, then how do I calculate what value to enter into "SetCameraZoom()" in order to achieve the same zoom factor? In some of your maps you converted the desired map-dimensions into a Zoom scale in order to show the whole map, but I want to convert the GetCameraZoom value directly into a SetCameraZoom value. I've had no luck deciphering Alex's explanation.

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #662 on: August 17, 2015, 06:35:27 AM »
It's not about me needing the tutorials, it's for people who want to make their own maps :)

As for the formula: (0.05f + ((float)(Zoom * Zoom * Math.Sign(Zoom)) / 10))
Let's say you paste in the value 12.345 into the SetCameraZoom() function, then the output from GetCameraZoom() would be (0.05 + (12.345 * 12.345 * 1) / 10), which is 15.28...

Then you just "simply" reverse the formula, and voila you have the value you should put into SetCameraZoom() to get the value you want from GetCameraZoom() :)

The Math.Sign() takes the sign(minus or plus) from the number and you can use it to multiply so that you get that sign, in this case we are dealing with a squared number, which means you need to put the sign back in again somehow. The formula seems to be used in a logarithm of some sorts if you're dealing with negative numbers for a zoom value...

Hope I was of some help to you :)

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #663 on: August 17, 2015, 07:33:52 AM »
So the answer is SetCameraZoom(X) = math.sqrt((GetCameraZoom()-.05)*10).

That works perfectly and since I don't think you can have a negative value for zoom no sign conversion is necessary. I couldn't figure out what the "f", "float" and "Math.Sign" were or how they were determined or used. Thanks a lot!

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #664 on: August 17, 2015, 07:42:54 AM »
Float is one of the datatypes you can use for variables in most programming languages. Lua itself runs decimal numbers on floats or doubles. A float is a floating point decimal number, which simply mean it's a number with a comma. The "f"  is to make any number connected to it a float, while the (float) casts any number coming after it to a float. This is very useful, because floats are 32 bit, while doubles are 64 bit, which means you cut the memory space used in half by using floats :)

Glad you got the function sorted out, and maybe you'd like to start on some c# coding or perhaps Java, it seems you enjoy making all of these maps, why not try to make something of your own? :)

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #665 on: August 17, 2015, 08:22:51 AM »
...why not try to make something of your own?

Time- or lack of it, mostly. I do enjoy solving the puzzles of "how do I get this to do that?". But I've got so many other interests it could never be anything more than a side-activity as it is now. Also, after many decades of allowing my math skills to whither I'm afraid the learning curve at some point would be too great vs. the time I have to invest in it. At least with these Eufloria maps someone else might get some value out of my efforts! Speaking of which this last map will probably be the last I publish since you seem to be the only one left here!

Bonobo

• Achiever
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 11
  • Was born, still alive.
    • German Mac Mailing Lists
« Reply #666 on: August 18, 2015, 03:22:02 AM »
I’m still reading youse, ye awesome folks ;) but I can’t remember when the last time was that I launched the classical Eufloria … it was so much more fun back then, with all your wonderful maps, than with what we have now (sorry @ devs).

Greetings, Tom in Germany
who meanwhile has re-discovered the game of Go (aka Igo aka Baduk aka Weiqi)

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #667 on: August 19, 2015, 02:33:06 AM »
I can’t remember when the last time was that I launched the classical Eufloria...
And yet you keep leaving your goban to return here.

...than with what we have now...
Sorry, but I'm doing the best I can!

Bonobo

• Achiever
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • Was born, still alive.
« Reply #668 on: August 19, 2015, 09:23:20 AM »
I can’t remember when the last time was that I launched the classical Eufloria...
And yet you keep leaving your goban to return here.
Heh — so you know Go :) If you’re ever up for a slow correspondence game, ping me on OGS (link below), but Im not a strong player, perhaps 11 or 10 kyu.

I never left the forum, am just reading, (after all it had become a duty after somebody made me mod ;) )

...than with what we have now...
Sorry, but I'm doing the best I can!
Oh, nothing for you to be sorry — I thank you and the other folks some of my finest game experiences. It’s just that at some time I saw seedlings everywhere, and I realised I needed to do something different.

The fact that the latest incarnations of Eufloria didn't allow (such easy) modifications is what let this community die, I think. So we got some (admittedly nice) bling bling, but somehow … the soul is gone.

Greetz, Tom

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #669 on: August 24, 2015, 04:03:04 AM »
Actually I've never played the game but find it's complexity and reputed AI-resistance intriguing. I'm afraid I would not be a very interesting opponent for someone at your level.

I agree it was unfortunate subsequent versions of Eufloria "classic" were not "moddable". After completing my current project, I suppose I'll join the ranks of the rest of this former community and retire from the mod-publishing business, but wonder if I'll ever grow tired of watching those seedlings battle it out.

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #670 on: March 09, 2016, 05:10:38 PM »
Congratulations to AlphaGo! I'm interested in Tom's analysis of Game #1 and his prediction of the final outcome. Personally, I had no idea what was going on but am fascinated by the advancement of AI in this arena.

Bonobo

• Achiever
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • Was born, still alive.
« Reply #671 on: March 09, 2016, 11:45:55 PM »
Wow, Lost Seedling, nice that you remembered this :)

I cannot analyze this game b/c it’s waaaaay over my head, but my last prediction (before the game) was and still is that AlphaGo will win—not because I know anything about AI or Go, but because of my perception of the communication and scheduling of the DeepMind group.

It was an awesome night … almost 100k people watching on YouTube, millions on Asian TV … I have 70+ notifications on FB instead of the usual dozen …

Also, contrary to some others, I am not “frightened”—for me this was not human against machine, it was human against human-made algorithm. I don't (yet) see Skynet arising from this.

Two videos of the game with commentaries:
AGA channel, Myungwan Kim (9p) commenting, for higher-level players
DeepMind channel, Michael Redmond (9p) commenting, for an audience with little Go knowledge

Greetings, Tom

Lost Seedling

• Shrub
  • Thank You
« Reply #672 on: March 13, 2016, 03:59:24 AM »
Well that was over quickly!

One of the benefits of age is enjoying the memories of witnessing history as it happened. Regarding this milestone in computer development, it's pleasant to sit back and remember the inexorable march of computer technology culminating, on this day at least, in what may turn out to be an opening to a new horizon in technology's service to humankind.

Of course you're correct, Tom, that machines are not in competition with humans. I would like to know more, though, about the algorithms used by the programmers. If, some day, we are able to replicate the intuitive and creative aspects of human brains and combine it with the tirelessness and speed of silicon (or quantum) circuits, it could prove to be a fearful development if not chained by moral restraints.

Fascinating stuff.