Author Topic: What are you working on? :D  (Read 238662 times)

Inumedia

• Seed
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: What are you working on? :D
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 07:29:03 PM »
Of course, I'll gladly keep you updated.  Right now I'm just trying to get all the seedlings to move around properly and efficiently.  It's a bit of a pain but I also just woke up, so that might have something to do with it. :P

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 09:11:09 PM »
How are you doing the communication between clients and server? The screenshot you posted doesnt look like lua.. :>

Inumedia

• Seed
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 09:16:52 PM »
How are you doing the communication between clients and server? The screenshot you posted doesnt look like lua.. :>

Nah I use packet structures and then convert them to byte arrays and then send them over an established tcp socket connection to the server.  :3

*points at the Packets folder*

Oh the LuaFilePacket, that was a testing thing I was using a while back.  I had the client connect to the server and the server would send a whole lua file as one big string and then the client would write it to a temp file and then load it :3

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »
What language is it.. looks like C..?
Are you actually reverse engineering the game in order to do this ?

Inumedia

• Seed
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 09:47:20 PM »
What language is it.. looks like C..?
Are you actually reverse engineering the game in order to do this ?

C#.  It's a bit more complicated then that, but I'm not going to give out any details on that.  For the safety of this game. :P

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
  • Eufloria: Yes
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 01:44:07 AM »
C# is what Eufloria is built in, so that may be why Inu's using it. However, A&R are rewriting it in C++. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if that's a problem.

http://www.dyson-game.com/smf/index.php?topic=1217.msg7607#msg7607

If you want testers, I'd love to help sometime. I know no C or any of its variants, but I'm fairly good with EufLuaria (u c wut i did thar?) and playing the game.

Inumedia

• Seed
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 04:32:00 AM »
C# is what Eufloria is built in, so that may be why Inu's using it. However, A&R are rewriting it in C++. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if that's a problem.

http://www.dyson-game.com/smf/index.php?topic=1217.msg7607#msg7607

If you want testers, I'd love to help sometime. I know no C or any of its variants, but I'm fairly good with EufLuaria (u c wut i did thar?) and playing the game.

Ah, well, it's good to hear that they're not using C# anymore.  Either-way I'll be continuing my work, I just don't plan on staying up to date with the features they add.

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »
A virus infection map, play as a virus infecting a human body... and will also include a hard AI :P

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 10:27:04 PM »
Sounds cool.  :>  Are you making your own AI?  I'm kind of hoping eventually we can have lots of different AI's.  We could make them fight each other, and have competitions to see who can make the best one.  :>

It would only take a small amount of work for me to modify the engine to turn off Infected AI on asteroids that don't belong to a particular faction.  I keep meaning to try IAI versus the default AI, but the thing is the default AI has tons of different settings, so the performance could well vary...

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 10:37:07 PM »
Sounds cool.  :>  Are you making your own AI?  I'm kind of hoping eventually we can have lots of different AI's.  We could make them fight each other, and have competitions to see who can make the best one.  :>

It would only take a small amount of work for me to modify the engine to turn off Infected AI on asteroids that don't belong to a particular faction.  I keep meaning to try IAI versus the default AI, but the thing is the default AI has tons of different settings, so the performance could well vary...
I could, if I only know how to make the AI select the correct roid, have been experimenting allready with no success... Hoping I eventually will make one though :D

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 10:59:37 PM »
IAI is based on the idea of swarm intelligence.  If you want to know more about how it works, there's a dev blog here that I wrote whilst overhauling it.  To me, it seems the most practical way of doing it.  However there are bound to be other ways that I have not thought of.. :>

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 11:03:53 PM »
Mhm, swarming is the smartest way... I can't really think of anything else when you first mention it xD

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »
Swarm Intelligence means it is composed of individuals that do not have any view of the big picture, but rather just base their actions on their own immediate surroundings.

This means that a series of simple rules (eg, if my friendly neighbour is under attack, send seedlings to help) can result in extraordinarily complex behaviours.

However I guess you could also do it from the perspective of the empire as a whole.  It might consider its whole empire vs the whole enemy empire, and derive some strategic insight from that.  These are capabilities that IAI lacks.

Aino

• Ent
  • Thank You
  • They'll eat you next!
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 10:09:07 AM »
Ok, I began with an AI cause you just made me want to do it after you wrote about it, thanks annikk :P

It will be compitable with every map, like IAI, but I don't know what should be so special about it, need ideas so let them come please :D

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 10:23:29 AM »
To begin with I'd just focus on getting your AI to colonise asteroids efficiently, defend itself if attacked, and launch attacks on enemy asteroids.  Once you've got those basics down really well, you could look at things like flower handling, mine usage, and prioritising valueable asteroids for expansion.  :>