Well some of the wildest and wooliest battles I've seen have been between Mutant and Merchant. It gets quite exciting at times! Sometimes, if I could reach into the computer, I felt like taking a hammer to Merchant because it was so IRRITATING! Like a gnat that keeps flying at your face, it is constantly harassing.
I have to say that if Annikk made just a few slight changes to weaknesses in Infected that Mutant tries to exploit, and given the limitations in game frame-rate, Infected would be nearly impossible to beat in larger maps, by man or machine. But, that is the problem of of being on the frontier, you don't have the advantages of those who come behind you.
I should also say that "beating" is not an appropriate description in any AI "battle" where one AI has the advantage of seeing how the other operates beforehand. But these AI arenas do make interesting exercises in logic and decision-making, as well as efficiency in the use of precious clock-cycles! I just hope Annikk doesn't update his beast anytime in the near future, although a reduction in performance drag would be nice!
I guess it's your last too?
I hope not, but I just may not have time in the future. While making this, I learned quite a bit about trying to optimize decision-making and simplifying as much as possible versus the need to cover more and more options and possibilities. I initially was going to pursue Annikk's basic idea of assigning values to Asteroids until I looked at his code and saw he had already done that, so rather than just try to make an improved variation of that method, I tried the method that ultimately became the Mutant. Anyway, while working on this, I came up with several other ideas that I think could be devastatingly efficient, so maybe if I have time in the future I'll pursue those. I think, though, if I have any time for more Eufloria, I will try to build a proper AI contest map in which each AI has exactly the same chance at victory. (Except for the "bias" of the asteroid numbering system, which gives a slight bias to lower-numbered asteroids thanks to the for-loops in the lua code).