Author Topic: What are you working on? :D  (Read 238756 times)

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
What are you working on? :D
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:44:50 AM »
What are all you guys working on right now? :>
Lets have a thread for this sort of stuff mayhaps...  rather than everyone posting in their own individual dev blog threads.

AWS

• Achiever
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
Re: What are you working on? :D
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:53:35 AM »
mayhaps?!! hah - i like it!

im working on... thinking about... possibly... designing a new level.. sometime soon :D

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
  • Eufloria: Yes
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 02:17:10 AM »
EUCLiD, and a chemistry comp.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:19:39 AM by Pilchard123 »

Widget

• Sapling
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 02:48:07 AM »
Trying to bodge together a map consisting of three planetoids, each surrounded by a dozen or so moonlets. The idea is that each moon system should work more-or-less like a small map with one or more close enough to send to the much larger asteroid they surround. Each of the larger asteroids would have a send distance that could reach the outer moons of the other two systems but not the main asteroid itself.

The basic idea is to have at least one empire starting in the moons of each system and (if I can make it work adequately) a steadily increasing number of greys on the central 'roid. All the asteroids' stats would be influenced by scale (including the tree cap) so hopefully I can balance it to have an initial empire-building phase followed by a late-game three-way war. I'm not sure, the main 'roids might need to be dramatically weakened, in relative terms. And it all depends on getting the map laid out adequately in the first place.. the map I plotted on graph paper was too small to take remotely accurate measurements  :-\

AWS

• Achiever
  • Arboreal Being
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 03:04:02 AM »
Trying to bodge together a map consisting of three planetoids, each surrounded by a dozen or so moonlets. The idea is that each moon system should work more-or-less like a small map with one or more close enough to send to the much larger asteroid they surround. Each of the larger asteroids would have a send distance that could reach the outer moons of the other two systems but not the main asteroid itself.

The basic idea is to have at least one empire starting in the moons of each system and (if I can make it work adequately) a steadily increasing number of greys on the central 'roid. All the asteroids' stats would be influenced by scale (including the tree cap) so hopefully I can balance it to have an initial empire-building phase followed by a late-game three-way war. I'm not sure, the main 'roids might need to be dramatically weakened, in relative terms. And it all depends on getting the map laid out adequately in the first place.. the map I plotted on graph paper was too small to take remotely accurate measurements  :-\

dude, this idea is similar to what i wanted to do. i cant wait to see it. as you say, if you can get the balancing right, it should be most excellent. i wish you luck.
looking forward to its eventual release...

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 03:11:38 AM »
Wow, this thread took off fast.. :>

Widget, I know a nifty trick for positioning asteroids that you might like:

1.  Load your level.
2.  Turn on developer mode by pressing CTRL-D.
3.  Press F4 and turn off camera limiting, then zoom out so you can see the asteroids.
4.  Press F12 to activate little tooltips next to each asteroid, showing their ID numbers and current X/Y coordinates.
5.  Now open the console, and enter commands such as these:

Code: [Select]
GetAsteroid(37):MoveTo(7530,-1900)to place the asteroid at those coordinates, or...
Code: [Select]
GetAsteroid(37):MoveBy(50,0)to nudge it east a little.

6.  Move all the asteroids around in this way until you are happy with their positions.
7.  Now just write down all the coordinates of the asteroids as you see them on the tooltips.
8.  Edit the level file and enter the coordinates you just wrote down.  :>

I am working on optimizing the 3D Starfield engine.  Right now with more than about 20 asteroids onscreen it runs unacceptably slow, even with fairly sparse stars.  :/

Widget

• Sapling
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 03:45:00 AM »
dude, this idea is similar to what i wanted to do. i cant wait to see it. as you say, if you can get the balancing right, it should be most excellent. i wish you luck.
looking forward to its eventual release...

The first version is going to be horrendously primitive. The idea is to be using it as the environment to practice annikk's lessons so it'll start as just some asteroids dumped into a map then gradually develop and balance as I get a better understanding. I'll probably try putting IAIv2 in eventually though it'll probably be tricky reigning it in enough to retain the clean separation of early and late game. It would break the balance a little to be invaded by a late-game empire while you're still gathering weak seedlings to control the main asteroid  ;)

Widget, I know a nifty trick for positioning asteroids that you might like:

Thankyou for the point-by-point, that'll be easier to refer back to while I practice. I've been wanting to get back to work on it but by the time I get home in the evenings I'm too tired to think clearly, it's been taking ages to get very little done. Took me nearly an hour just to back-calculate the APR on my ISA today :D Should quiet down after thursday, though, so I'll get properly rested and devote a long weekend to getting the basics done and playing around with seedling numbers.

Inumedia

• Seed
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 03:47:24 AM »
Working on implementing multiplayer and waiting for Alex to respond to my PM.  Also debating wether I should have sent a PM to Rudolf, or just used emails all together instead of PM'ing.  o-o;

Pilchard123

• Tester
  • Old Oak
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
  • Eufloria: Yes
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 03:48:08 AM »
You could possibly, with a bit of hackishness make it so that the IAI only come into play in the late game, but I don't really know how...

Also, multiplayer is not supported, and very likely won't be.

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 03:50:42 AM »
I'd be interested to know how you're trying it, Inumedia.. :>  Welcome, by the way..  ^_^

Alex and Rudolf are super-busy working on getting Eufloria onto the Playstation Network right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them a while to respond.

Inumedia

• Seed
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 03:53:27 AM »
I'm already pretty far

Got networking done, just working on figuring out how their system works.  Already got a server setup and a dedi contracted.  And already got a lot implemented for the most part.  Just running into a few problems; one of them being that the player always has the ID of 1, where as I need that to be changeable.  :3

Right now my current goals are streamlining packets and within the next two days, allowing more than one person in the same game.  It's not an issue of packets, but rather how the client interprets all the data.  I think I'll have that done soon, and then I'll set it up on the dedi and release the modified client.

http://inumedia.net/eufloriadisplay.png

Just a side-note if Alex reads this before my PM or Rudolf just doesn't hear about the PM I sent to Alex, if you don't want me working on implementing Multiplayer, please let me know and I'll discontinue this project of mine o-o;
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 04:14:41 AM by Inumedia »

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 05:52:15 AM »
Wow.  That looks pretty impressive dude..

I can't imagine A&R would be anything other than delighted to hear about this.. :>

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 06:05:35 AM »
Still trying to optimise the 3D Starfield Init settings for my level..

Inumedia

• Seed
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »
Wow.  That looks pretty impressive dude..

I can't imagine A&R would be anything other than delighted to hear about this.. :>

Ah, well that's good to hear.  I've already planned out how the levels and matches will play out and I'm hoping it all ends well when I kick it off for everyone to play on.

annikk.exe

• Achiever
  • Ent
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 07:55:31 AM »
I'll definitely be up for trying that!  Will you keep us updated on your progress? :>

I am going slowly crazy trying to work out why on earth the stars "jump" when you zoom in/out.  It looks like GetCameraScale() is delayed by 0.3 sec or something...  the stars first move as if they were on a flat plane, and then "jump" to their new positions...

I've tried turning large sections of the code off.  I've tried drastically reducing the number of asteroids and stars.  Basically no matter what I do, the jump is still there to some degree.  The FPS is fine, it's just that jump which is the problem.

But the parallax engine also used GetCameraScale(), and it did not suffer from a star-jumping problem at all.